Question
Posted by: worried | 2004/03/05

Low sperm count

Dear Cyberdoc, I posted a question to you about 2 weeks ago on low sperm count. My husband had an semen analysis and the following where the outcome: viscosity 0, volume 1.7, sperm count 33million, motility 60%, normal sperm produced 9%. He has been to an uroligist, there is nothing physical wrong. The uroligist suggested our only option is invitro treatment. But I think you know this is a very expensive option. I am on Clomihexal. What I would like to ask is there another fertility option not so expensive. eg pills that he can take.
I would appreciate your reply, as I want desperately to be pregnant.

Worried, most fertility experts feel that a normal count of more than 7% is enough to fall pregnant with. How long have you been trying to fall pregnant? You have to remember that it takes the average normal healthy young couple more than a year to fall pregnant, so don’t start worrying too soon.
There are options like artificial insemination available that cost a fraction of IVF and it is definitely something you should consider first. If you live in or around Pretoria I can refer you to an excellent fertility specialist, but otherwise you will have to ask your GP. Good luck.