Posted by: Melissa | 2008/09/08

Low Sex Drive

I had a baby about 15 months ago and since my 7th month of pregnany by sex drive has been really low. I thought that after the baby was born it would return, but nothing. I'  m not in the mood and can only get there with alot of help.

This is a common post-natal experience and may be due to several factors:
1. the hormones immediately after birth and during breastfeeding may dampen sexual interest
2. if you are suffereing from post-natal depression, this will dampen your sexual interest and you need some medical support
3. tiredness / exhaustion due to sleep deprivation frequently knocks sex down the priority list.
4. difficulty adjusting to being a mother and the idea of being sexual as a mother may turn some people off.
5. resentment that your role as mother has changed you completely and you may feel that your husband's life has remained largely the same (e.g. he can still go to gym or out with his friends, but you may feel too guilty to or feel unable to because of breastfeeding or fear of having someone else look after your baby)
6. if your baby shares your bedroom or bed, you may feel inhibited.

You need to identify the cause for your loss in sexual interest before you can do anything about it, once identified, it's likley you'll need your wonderful husband's support to make relevant changes that can move you closer to how you once were.