Question
Posted by: Going no where slowly | 2007/12/11

Low results

I have been going to gym 3-5days a week since June and been doing 30min cardio and resistance training after that or the super circuit. I have only slightly toned up and lost 3Kgs. I am a 25yr old female, 160mm and weigh 60kgs. I feel after all this effort I am not getting the results most people do. I eat very healthy, lots of water, mostly protein and low GI carbs and I eat lots of small meals a day, I have also given up drinking. Could I be doing something wrong or should I push harder at the gym?

A couple of things might be in play here. First of all, your current weight, given your height, is by no means too high. You're already in the normal range of weight, with a BMI of 23.4. So that means that losing more weight is going to be difficult, because you get to the point where the body is already in an "ideal zone". That's not to say you can't, because with more training, it might be possible.

So then my next question to you is: Are you fitter now than when you began 5 months ago? I am a big fan of training for fitness, and allowing weight to take care of itself. My rationale is that if you are training well, doing the right types of exercises and getting fitter, then weight will take care of itself and you'll get to the optimal weight as a consequence. So, having dont your 30 minutes since June, are you getting fitter? Are you able to train for 45 minutes? Are you able to train at a higher levelon the machines you're using? Are you lifting heavier weights in your circuit session?

If the answer to all these questions is no (which I suspect it might be, simply because you haven't tried it), then what you should consider is increasing your training quality over the next while. In otherwords, try the higher levels in the cardio, the slightly heavier weights. This "overload", which places a stress on the body to constantly adapt, is the thing that will drive your improvements. And then just assess your goal, because perhaps you don't have too much weight to lose.