Question
Posted by: 1996Dakota1 | 2005/12/02

Low Morphology

After a fertility workup I appear to be fine (34), my husband (39) has a great sperm count and motility but his morphology is 4%. What are the chances of conceiving naturally with this information? Also, is IUI a viable option? Thanks for the info, been trying lazily for two years.

Dear 1996Dakota1

Unfortunately the low morphology of 4% is significant, despite the mention of a high sperm count. Most fertility specialists would advice in this situation that you have IVF done. However, there is a small possibility that conception can occur via IUI, but this would be more the exception than the rule. Since IUI is not an extremely expensive procedure, you may attempt one or two cycles, failing which I would move on to IVF.