Posted by: Lisa | 2012/03/04

Low Lung Capacity

I am 24 years old. I smoked cigarettes for 8 years. I am now 2 years OFF cigarettes. I obviously picked up a lot of weight. I am 106kg and 1.63 in height. I have mild asthma (chest packs up when I get the flu, but not chronically on any pumps cos I feel it makes my lungs worse). My chest is not weasy or anything, no coughing and no morning coughs, very little phlegm now and then, but I somehow feel like my breathing is slow, like im not breathing to my full lung capacity, when I lay down, then I really struggle to breathe. if for example I should be unconcious, I wouldnt be able to breathe on my own, cos my lungs feel tired and I feel tired. I have stopped breathing in my sleep on 3 occassions, so I only lay on my sides. I dont know if its my lungs or heart or something else like a blocked artery. I need some help with exercises to help bring my lung capacity up and have it working in full force. I am awaiting an operation for my leg so havent walked in 3 months. can do minimal exercise, like crtuches, wheelchair and sitting exercises. when I sing or laugh I get out of breath. Need advice with excersies cos my lungs feel tired and makes me tired. Makes me get heart pulpataions

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


You will experience severe complications due to your excessive weight. You are experiencing sleep apnea disorder. This is the reason for all your breathing problems. You will have to consult a pulmonologist (lung specialist) for a full examination and referral for a sleep study. A CPAP machine will assist with breathing at night by keeping your airways open. This will make a big difference in your life.

Swimming is the one exercise that you have to engage in for more than two hours per day. This will assist you in loosing weight drastically. You will have to consult a dietrician for a proper diet.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.