Posted by: InTherapy | 2008/08/07

Low Latent Inhibition - over-Analytical

Hi CyberShrink,

My boyfriend and I are in relationship therapy. We seem to be going in circles at the moment, because he seems to have a low latent inhibition personality trait, which means that he over analyses everything not only with regards to me and my behaviour in our relationship, but everything - work/relationships/situations/objects. He is only able to view anything or situation and see all the negativity and faults surrounding it. His past also includes suffering from sexual abuse, parents that died shortly after each other, divorce and a lot of instability in his life.

It is extremely frustrating and our therapist is not concentrating on this. She is suggesting medication, but are there no other methods of psychotherapy available for this? It is not only destructive in our relationship, but having a brain that does not stop analysing and over analysing and even projecting events that are not going to happen - is making him an extremely unhappy person. He is living in constant fear about our future together and is unable to commit. The therapist says that he has true ambivalence about our relationship - but none of the therapy in the past months have actually resolved or assisted us in any way.

The encouraging thing is that he is willing to undergo therapy and he suggested we see a therapist. But we are not seeing any results.

Are there any other avenues we can try ?

This is where I suspect it is not something valid and effective like CBT that your therapist is providing. Or, for instance, your BF would be given tasks to obsess about, to analyze the GOOD and positive things in his life and relationship. If there has been no progress in some months, seek a different therapist, preferably one providing COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy. And as Maria suggests, check WHAT mediation and WHY the therapist thinks he needs it --- if antidepressants, they won't solve everything but may enable him to obsess less and use therapy more usefully.

Posted by: Maria | 2008/08/07

Does the therapist think he is depressed perhaps? Meds won' t solve his problems, but might quiet down his brain enough for him to tackle the problems in a more rational and realistic fashion.

Reply to Maria