Question
Posted by: Vannie | 2006/08/01

Low iron diet

I have been diagnosed with polycythaemia. Can you please help me with a diet containing low iron types of food. What drinks to avoid etc.

Dear Vannie
To prevent iron overload you need to cut out those foods that are richest in iron, e.g. red meat, all organ meats, egg yolk, dried fruit and wholegrain cereals and grains. Check on breakfast cereal labels and use only those that are not fortified with iron (e.g. maize meal that you prepare yourself). Concentrate on eating fresh fruit and vegetables, refined grains and starches, milk and dairy products and small portions of fish, egg white and white meat like chicken and pork. Check every vitamin and mineral supplement and don't take any that contain iron in any form.