Question
Posted by: sonia | 2004/11/12

low iron

I was on iron tablets for 3 months which ended 3 months ago. I tried to go and dontate blood last week and they refused me as my iron level was to low. I know my iron level is low, and every year i am on tablets for a month or two. This year however my levels have been so low and my iron seems to be getting lower and lower even quicker than before. Why is that???? What can I do

Sonia, the best would be to make sure just how low your iron levels are by having your blood tested. The most common reason for young woman to have low iron levels is bleeding – usually menstruation, but it might also be due to something more serious like gastrointestinal bleeding. The best would be to see your doctor and have him sort it out for you. Good luck.