Question
Posted by: CK | 2008/01/16

Low heartrate

I just read your answer to Laura's question "heartrate %) my dillema is that I battle to get my heart rate up on the cardo equiptment at the gym. My body feels like it is giving max output, I am sweating etc but my heartrate remains below 120bpm which is the minimum for my age 37. I get so frustrated as after a workout of 1 hour and 30 min I was only in my "zone" for 22 mins, thats ridiculous plus to make things worse, I have an increased appetite as well, so as much as I need to take a "day off" as I feel this is a reaction of over training, I can't afford to as I eat so much.
Any ideas???

Hi CK

Again, I think I made the point previously, that because people are different, their heart rate during exercise may also be very different. In your case, your heart rate is incredibly low, which actually leads me to suggest that is' not being measured correctly - is this the value from the machine in the gym? Those are notoriously dodgy and can very easily be inaccurate. So just make sure you're measuring it right - nothing as frustrating as being misled by a faulty piece of equipment. I think that you needen't worry so much about heart rate though, it's not that important and it seems to be you're putting far too much faith in that number - it really doesn't matter about the zones, the values, the fat burning, nothing matter, except that you are getting in a good session and feeling energised after.

So just listen to your body, not the machines and work on getting fitter, and it will work out.