Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2007/03/22

Low GI foods

I'm slightly insulin resistant and was told by my dietitian that i should basically stick to certain types of brown bread and food with a fat content of less than 10g of fat per 100g. But as i cannot handle eating brown bread, i checked the fat content of white bread and have discovered that most white bread have a fat content of only 1 or 2g per 100g. Is it okay for me to eat these breads then?

Dear Lizzy
The reason why the dietitian said that you should eat low-GI bread, is that the carbohydrates in these breads will not overstimulate your insulin and glucose levels in the blood which will in turn make the insulin resistance worse. You can also try eating rye bread. If you have an allergy or intolerance to brown bread then you must discuss this with your dietitian so that she can suggest alternatives. If you are just not used to eating low-GI bread, then this is something you should try to slowly get used to. White bread has a very high-GI and is not a good idea when you have insulin resistance.

1
Posted by: kelly | 2007/03/22

Hey Lizzy,

I have insulin resistance as well and my dietician said that we shouldn't eat white bread because of the white flour. Being on a LOW GI diet is not the same as being on a LOW FAT diet. Low GI foods are foods that release sugar slower than non Low GI foods, hence helping the insulin probelm.
Therefore for people on a LOW GI diet it is a rule that we stay away from the whites. Rice, pasta, white flour, potatoe etc as these will only aggrevate your situation

I don't know if this is of any help to you, as you said you don't like brown bread, but even brown bread has white flour, its the seedloaf breads and the low GI breads we are to be eating.

So as far as what to subsitute?? I'm at a loss...but sometimes we have to do things not because we want to but because we need to.

Much Love,
Kelly

Reply to kelly