Posted by: DEbs | 2009/01/22

Low GI diet plan

I have been struggling to lose weight...and am now following an eating plan by a dietician (low gi) and gyming in the morning (55min cardio), I need to loose 17kgs! But i get RAVENOUSLY hunger by 11am and actually start to feel light headed? But i dont want to eat more cos then it defeats the purpose of gym???

Breakfast - 1 slice seed loaf with sliced low fat cheese
Snack - apple
lunch - 2 portion low gi carbs (eg pasta, ) with free veg and 1/2 protein
snack - peach or pear (sometimes both!)
Supper - varies but according to plan (1 1/2 protein, 1 carb, low gi veggies &  salad)

I also drink tons of water but it does not fill me up or make the damn hunger pangs go away :-(. Any advice pls???

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Debs
You need to go back to your dietitian and discuss the fact that you are always hungry on this diet despite the low-GI of the permitted foods. She may need to adjust your protein intake or add another portion of low-GI carbs in the morning (e.g. have a snack of Provitas with fat-free cottage cheese at morning tea). Please do not drink too much water. Drinking too much water can in fact be dangerous and counterproductive. If you drink more than 2,5 litres of liquid (this includes all beverages, not just water) a day (the adult requirement), then you can cause electrolyte imbalances and wash important minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium out of your body which can even be fatal (some of the Comrades Marathon runners have succumbed). Electrolyte imbalances can ironically cause water retention so that you will weigh more. Water stored in the body increases weight, but not body fat content. You can also try chewing sugarless chewing gum or celery or carrot sticks or baby tomatoes to combat the hunger pangs.
But first and foremost discuss your problem with your dietitian.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.