Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2007/05/13

LOW GI

Hey,

I have insulin resistance and are therefore on a low gi eating plan. BUT MAN DO I GET SUGAR CRAVINGS!!!! HOw do I combat that? Considering I can;t eat sugar?? And for someone who ate luxuries everyday to no not being able to eat any? I'm binge-ing...please give me some alternatives. I don't crave junk food, only crisps and chocolate.

Dear Kelly
Have you consult a clinical dietitian about your IR yet?? It is essential for anyone with IR to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. The dietitian will also assist with these cravings you experience. Each IR patient needs an individual diet prescription, so this is not something one can work out without a consultation. It also helps to do regular daily exercise for 30 or more minutes a day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), because this helps to stabilise blood sugar and insulin levels which will stop these cravings.
Hang in there, but see the dietitian because you don't want to get caught up in binging.