Question
Posted by: Kay | 2007/07/25

Low Fibre

I was recently diagnosed with IBS and advised to increase my fibre intake, now that seems to have been a bad idea. My doc has now recommended that I lower my fibre intake for a week and see if I feel any different. My problem is that I eat very healthy so most of the food that I consume everyday is high in fibre. What can I eat that is still healthy but low in fibre?

Dear Kay
If you suffer from IBS and find that you cannot eat high-fibre foods (as is generally recommended to improve bowel regularity) then I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assist you with a low-fibre diet or one that contains only soluble fibre (if you are reacting to insoluble fibre). You need expert assistance to achieve a balance between the amount of fibre in your diet and your IBS.