Question
Posted by: Honey | 2008/01/22

LOW FAT DIET

Dear Doc, my husband's triglycerides are very high although it came down from 14 to 6. Could you kindly give me some guidance regarding a diet for him and what should be eliminated from his diet completely. He is 39 years old and slightly overweight (10kgs). Thanks

Dear Honey
If your husband's triglycerides (TGs) are elevated then he needs to use a low-fat diet that does not contain any processed starches or sugars as it is the highly refined carbs that are implicated in raised TGs. I think it would be wise to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with a low-fat, low-refined carb diet as this is quite tricky to work out on your own. The dietitian will also help your hubby to lose weight.