Question
Posted by: Gwen | 2008/01/23

Low Cholestrol Diet

I have a friend who has been diagnosed as having high cholestrol. Can u plz send me an eating plan for her.

Ta,
Gwen

Dear Gwen
I can for obvious reasons not send individual diets to my Readers. If your friend suffers from high cholesterol, then she would need to lower her intakes of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. To lower her cholesterol levels basically she will have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where she can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - if she does not need to lose any weight she can use larger portions of the permitted foods, but should otherwise stick to the portion sizes. She needs to check the foods she buys in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 5g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when she eats processed foods. She can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ margarine which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If she requires a specific diet to be worked out for her, then I would recommend that she should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).

2
Posted by: Shirley | 2009/02/27

Low Cholestrol diet

Reply to Shirley
Posted by: Venessa | 2008/08/26

please advise me with regards to foods that help to redue cholestrol levels.

Reply to Venessa