Posted by: MS | 2008/08/11

Low Blood Sugar

I am 43 years old and I have developed a low blood sugar problem (non-diabetic) which started with my first pregnancy. From time to time my doctor prescribes Effortil when I cannot seem to lift the problem no matter what I try. The medication seemed to help in the past, but these days I have more occurrences of dizzy spells, nausea, headaches, sweating, feeling very cold, can’ t concentrate and I just want to sleep. At work it becomes a nightmare just to stay above board. What else can I do, this is affecting my whole life.

Dear MS
Effortil is usually prescribed for low blood pressure not low blood sugar. If you feel like this again, ask a pharmacy to check your blood sugar and your blood pressure. If the pressure is low - Effortil is the remedy. If the sugar is low you should try and eat a diabetic type diet, and add something like slow Fructose or Manna as supplement. Has your doctor ever tested your fasting insulin and sugar levels? If not, I think you should have this tested too.
I think there may be more than just a low blood sugar problem causing these symptoms and I really think your doctor needs to give you a full examination, check your heart, check for middle ear problems etc too.