Question
Posted by: Rocky | 2004/02/27

Low blood sugar

I have low blood sugar. When I diet, it really drops and I end up almost comatose. What should I be eating (healthily) to keep my sugar levels up while dieting?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Dear Rocky
If you suffer from hypoglycaemia then it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area) so that she/he will work out a balanced diet which will fristly stabilise your blood sugar levels and help you to lose weight. For more information do a Search on this Website with "Hypoglycemia or Hypoglycaemia".

3
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/03/01

What does your glucose level do immediately after you eat carbohydrate-rich foods? It has to go up. There is some time lag before your pancreas produces insulin.

You appear to over-produce insulin, and the treatment for that, believe it or not, is a diet that is low in carbohydrates, and the carbs that you can use are all low-glycaemic.

In other words, the Atkins diet.

As DietDoc wrote, you have to stabilise your glucose level, then you can work on losing weight.

A diet low in carbs, and proportionately higher amounts of proteins and fats works for most people, especially people who have unstable blood sugar and hyperinsulinism.

Reply to Nutrition Nut
Posted by: Rocky | 2004/03/01

To Nutrition Nut
My problem is that I have low blood sugar always. It never gets high. It is always low.

Reply to Rocky
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/27

It's not dieting that is the issue. You want to achieve STABLE blood sugar levels. Your glucose level should not go high after a meal, because that prompts your body to produce insulin. The insulin then causes you to overshoot, and go too low.

A diet high in carbohydrates will cause your glucose and insulin levels to look like a rollercoaster ride.

Increasing your protein and fat intake and reducing your carbohydrate intake causes your body to burn fat. You glucose level will stabilise too. And, it IS healthy, notwithstanding the noise that you will get from the "low-fat, high-fibre" evangelists.

I highly recommend Dr Robert C. Atkins' book "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" because he explains HOW and WHY low-carb works so well, and why fat isn't the baddie that it has been characterised as.

Reply to Nutrition Nut