Question
Posted by: Danny | 2007/02/20

Loved one been diagnosed with bipolar

I posted a question a while back about my sister that had to go to a hosp...she was then diagnosed with the highest form of bipolar. This wednesday(she's been in hospital for 21 days) she will be released into our care. This is a big load n us..she's not allowed to work for 6 months...not allowed to go out for 6 months...she's not allowed to be left alone eather. We can handle it financially but the problem is my step dad had a triple bypass two years ago and his health is'nt up to scratch. My mother had a bloodclot shoot threw her lung last year November and now she's on Waferin and also very ill. She was doing very well until all this started, now her blood is even thicker then what it was the first time from all the stress and also my step dad had a very mild haert attack from all the stress...I'm so scared. I don't know what to do. SHe has to come stay with us and I do want to help her but I realy need advise. How are we going to cope with something that we don't know at all???? My parents are sickly people...and I'm the only healthy one, I'm only 22 years old, I still have my whole life in front of me...now I have to look after my sister that's 25...I'm trying not to be selfish but...what about our lives? Am I wrong to feel this way? I love her so much but after what the docters said I'm just so scared. We will be living under one roof but I realy realy realy need advise. How am I going to handle this?

Is there no-one else in the family who could help out ? It sounds as though you, already carrying the burden of two sick people, are now expected to take on a third ? Have you discussed this with the doctors who were caring for her while she was in hospital ? DO they realize the burdern being imposed on you, and have they looked at other alternatives as placement for her ? And your sister cannot be released from hospital while helpless --- she MUST be able to care for herself and do household chores, etc., and help to care for your parents, while they heklp by keep;ing an eye on her