Question
Posted by: Rattled scuba diver | 2004/11/15

Love scuba diving

I watched OPEN WATER movie last night, today a heard a women got eaten by a giant shark. Well, suddenly I got very concern about my scuba diving actvities. I saw on discovery channel of an electronic device that chases away sharks by electrical pulses. Is there anything like this available for scuba divers on the market?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Yes, there is such a device available. It was originally developed by the Natal Sharks Board as the Shark POD (Protective Oceanic Device). The patent for the later version, the Shark Shield, is now held by Australian Company Sea Change, which markets the product world-wide, including in South Africa. See the article 'How to avoid shark attacks' in the EnviroHealth section for details.