Question
Posted by: jazz | 2004/11/04

love handles

Goodday

My baby is now 6 months and i need help getting rid of my fat tummy and love handles. I do not have time to go to gym so i need to do something at home. I have the Billy Blanks taebo tapes, will that help? How long and how many times should i workout to lose the fat. I am 5kg overweight. I am really desperate.

HI Jazz

I'm repeating what you have probably already seen on the forum, but it's true, so I can't do any harm by repeating it. The scientific truth is that you can't aim for "spot reduction". That is, you can't really try and reduce the fat around your stomach, thighs and abdominals by just doing exercises for those areas. This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. The taebo videos will do the same for you, provided you do them often enough. My experience of home video is that they rarely work because the motivation to use your home for exercise is very weak in most people. Therefore, I do suggest that you vary your exercise routine so that you do some taebo and some other activities, like running or walking. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

For a programme, I would suggest that you check out the following site.

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that.

1
Posted by: teddy | 2004/11/06

Hi jazz

It is a scientific fact that one can not " spot reduce ". You have to look at this to a whole body perspective. In order to loose weight you have to train 4-5 times a week for 30-45min workout. You have to do cadio workout for example running, cycling etc. Do this workout at a good pace where you feel your heart rate and motabolism are elevated and work up a good sweat. My advice start gradually at 15-20min then work yourself up to 30-45min.

Having said that it is also good to do some weights and tonning exercises. You can find these exercises as well as programmes on this website in the fitness section. Diet is also important so eat healthy and train well.

You are not alone many people find it hard to loose weight on the tummy , love handles, thighs. Loose the weight slowly and properly and it is gaurenteed to stay off , dont try starving yourself and traning for long hours and feeling exhausted you are doom to fail and injure your body.

Good Luck :) you on your way to fitness.

Reply to teddy