Question
Posted by: Jess | 2007/03/12

Lost weight....now need firming!!! How??

I am a 25 year old healthy woman, i have never been overweight but recently started training in the gym to lose 1 or 2 kilos and gain some muscle. I have been using the weights, doing cardio and some classes (pilates) and have now noticed although my arms are looking great, my thighs and butt are looking flabby, just at the back, like ive lost weight there and now the skin is too loose or something!! I have been training my legs a lot so i cant understand what im doing wrong. Im eating healthy and drinking lots of water and am even using a firming cream!!! Can u advise certain excercises i should be doing, or foods that firm???!!! Thank you!!

Hi jess

It's difficult to say. One thing that I will say is that it has nothing to do with drinking water or using firming cream - that's not particularly useful. The more useful is to change your exercise, but here, I'm guess because I know nothing about what you had been doing up to this point, other than that you mix cardio and weight training.

THe problem is pretty common and part of it just requires you to be patient. You are succeeding, and now you have reached the point where it starts becoming a little harder. But it will still hapeen, albeit at a slower rate. So hang in there.

The big change you can look at making is to increase the intenstiy of the training. That means maybe lifting slightly heavier weights than you have been, which will increase muscle tone and help with this appearance of looseness. The same goes for the cardio - a little more weight loss and you will start seeing progress.

So my advice is that you incrase the intensity ever so slightly. I'm not talking hugely here, you don't need to go out and train like a pro and lift huge weights - just a kilogram on your weight, and maybe one level higher on the cardio equipment will make a difference. Give that about 2 months and see what happens, but it really may just be a matter of time until you start to see progress.

1
Posted by: Jess | 2007/03/16

Thank you, that helps....i havent been using very heavy weights for fear of bulking up too much, but iwill increase the weight slightly, and add an extra few reps.

Thanks again!
Jess

Reply to Jess