Question
Posted by: Mich_07 | 2004/02/13

Lost in hope

I have been with my boyfriend now for 5 years. We almost got married two years ago. The reason why we didnt is because of his mother. The problem is, his mother is a drug addict... but it's all prescription medicine that the docters have given her. It has gone as far a her taking 16 ampules of prescribed morphine a day. Her drug abuse started when my boyfriend was about 7 years old. As he was growing up his mother encouraged him to cover her states of "highness" up, so that his father wouldnt divorce her. I now sit with a man that is compulsive liar. He has had to lie his whole life and doesnt now better than that. He has even told me that he doesnt even think about his lies... they just come out. I have never had to worry about his loyalty to me, the one thing I have caught him out with... time and again, is money. He steals money, if not from me, then from his father. His mother has taught him that too. She had to pay for her medication somehow, and for a house wife, money doesnt come easily. He is also a high school drop out, which both his parents fully supported, the thing is now he has no education, no job, no money, which in turn makes him become terribly destructive with his lies and money... I dont know what to do. I live in this hope that I can maybe get him on his feet so that he can fend for himself, and try and teach him that there is more to life than money and lies. I have arranged a session with a psychologist, so that we can both attend as a couple... but I feel that there is more to his "recovery" than couples theropy.

Please help, I trully believe that there is hope for him... I just dont know how to "fix" him on my own.

Mich_07

Dear Mich,
If this woman is receiving prescriptions from any doctor(s) for that amount of morphine daily, then the situation should be reported to the police for investigation. Nobody should ever prescribe morphine ( outside of specific uses in hospital, eg after surgery ) except for someone in severe pain with terminal cancer ; and if the woman is recognized as a Morphine addict, it is highly irresponsible to simply feed the habit, and she should have been required to take part in a proper drug rehab program long ago, rather than receiving such prescriptions.
I understand the difficulties a child / young man might experience if pressurized by his mother to lie to cover up for her addiction, bu this wouldn't usually lead to him becoming a "compulsive liar", lying about other matters.
Couples therapy may be worth trying, but he surely also needs some individual therapy to clear up the remaining areas of misconduct you describe.
His lack of education will indeed be a significant handicap at present --- but there is no reason why he can't remedy this. He should get ANY legitimate job he can, to get used to the whole rhythm of work, and the process of responsibility and working, and he can then strive to move to ever better jobs. Meanwhile, he can check with his local Dept of Education, as there are supposed to be programs for former high-school dropouts to drop back again and resume and complete their studies, as well as adult education programs. If he were not prepared to just accept his situation, but prefered to put energy into putting things right, the situation may indeed be remediable. But most of the work will have to be done by him, not you, even though you could facilitate or encourage it.

1
Posted by: Mich_07 | 2004/02/17

Hi Doc,

Well the problem with his mother is that it never started with prescription drugs... some of it came off the streets. Some of those drugs were also not prescribed by doctors... she managed to forge her own prescriptions. She has also been to about 12 rehab centers since I've known her. She books herself in and stays for 2-4 days and then books herself out. This only happens when she gets caught by her husband... or some one else other than her son (who supprts her). The drugs range from morphine (like i said), pethadine, normison, degranol, sindol, and some I cannot remember... If she takes tablets, she concocts her own coctail that can be up to 27 tablets in total in one sitting. As a result of this she goes into long sessions of depression and she has a way of becoming VERY manipulative and down right naghsty. She has also been for 4 operations (while I've known her) to clear up "obstructions" in her digestive system. I spoke to one of her doctors, who said that it's a result of too much paracitamol in her system that is eating away at her organs... but yet, that doctor will prescripe more drugs. I dont understand how that happens. In her last operation the surgen had to remove parts of her kidneys, liver, small intestine and her gall bladder because those parts were either eaten away or weren't working.

The scary thing about all of this is that it seems that this is the way his mother wants to live and has come up with the strangest sicknesses to get hold of these medicines. She has malignant malinome cancer (apparantly), epilepsy, asthma, she has had a stroke (about 12 years ago). I believe it to be her tool for sympathy from her husband and children. No one in that house can be more importand or recieve more attentiuon than her. I know that she has seen shrinks and counceling before, but she manages to convince them that he indeed has been through all the illnesses and she NEEDS those medicins to assist her cope with them. I have never met someone like this where you are guarenteed of never having all your bases covered, no matter how hard you try.

Let me know what you think.

Reply to Mich_07