Question
Posted by: Map | 2007/02/20

loss weight

Can aerobics help in toning and lossing weight?

HI Map

Absolutely, it can help a lot. Whether or not it actually will depends on a number of other factors. one is your diet, perhaps the most critical factor and something that you certainly need to check out. But if your diet is good and you do the aerobics regularly, then you certainly will get fitter. And getting fitter, over a long time, equals losing weight in the long run! So I say go for it.

Now a lot depends on exactly how this gets done - ideally, you should be aiming for between 4 and 6 days a week, if you can do classes every day, that's great. Otherwise, for variety, consider other activities like walking or jogging or cycling, if you are a gym member. All are in the same category of exercise, cardio training and they are all effective for weight loss. As for the frequency, if you are at a class, then there's nothing to worry about because they'll dictate that for you. But people often make the mistake of training too easy, or too hard. There is an optimal balance that you need to try to find between going so hard that you are exhausted every day, and not training hard enough. my advice would be that you need to finish a session feeling like you have about 10 or 15 minutes in you, but no more.

And finally, and I said it earlier, check that diet. If you don't eat well, all the training in the world won't help you. So be sure you are eating very well, and even consider seeing a dietician if you think it will help.

Ross