Question
Posted by: Sons (Anonymous) | 2008/01/23

Loss of Memory at age 37

To whom it may concern,

I seem to be suffering from loss of memory lately. It seems like it's short-term memory. I will forget where i put something 5 minutes ago. Another example: I did some shopping yesterday at the shop nextdoor to my work. I took the trolley to my car, got a complete fright when I didn't see my car and then realised that my mom had kept my car and had dropped me off at work. I'm terribly worried about this problem as I'm only 37years old in May. I fear that I might develop Alzheimners disease. I am currently married with 2 children aged 6 and 3, but I have a loveless relationship with my husband. We argue alot and there has been quite a bit of marital strain over the years. I will be married for 11years this year. Could the stresses of life be the cause of my memoy loss?
Will I need to consult a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist? Please advise. If possible, please e-mail me on the e-mail provided, but I want to remain anonymous, so please don't mention my e-mail address on your health forum.

Many, many thanks.

This is obviously distressing, and is most commonly caused by anxiety and stress --- and is not so much a matter of forgetting something that has passed into memory, as in failing to concentrate enough to register it in memory in the first place. The shopping example is a good one --- you were running on autopilot and expected, as usual, to have gone there by car, and looked for it, as would usually be entirely routine, before remembering that there was a more unusual situation that day and you had been dropped off instead.
Its really unlikely to be Alzheimers or something of that sort, but to reassure yourself and be more sure, it'd be a good idea to see at least a really good GP, maybe a good general physicial for a comprehensive check-up. The home situation you describe could of course be adding to the general degree of stress ( as does Eskom and assorted other plagues. Maybe marriage counselling could be a wise move ?
And if you need more assistance a psychiatrist might be a good bet if there are physical elements identified by the physician ( as psychiatrists have medical treaining too ) , otherwise a psychologist would be better abole to provide counselling