Question
Posted by: Richard | 2006/04/08

loss of hearing

a friend of mine has a 10 year old girl who was born with normal hearing, but lost it when she was about 3. She's now about 10 and he's still to find a specialist who can help him.
One hearing doctor said she's deaf on one ear and low in hearing on the other. but he's not show weather to operate or not. Please refer me to an appropiate doctor. Any where in South Africa is fine.

Richard
072 558 5530

Hi Richard
She may have had a virus infection that injured her cochlear ( hearing) nerve. I think the best place to look for a specialist will be at the ear nose and throat departments of the bigger universities like Wits, Pretoria, Cape town. Tygerberg hospital ( univ Stellenbosch medical school) has a cochlear implant unit. Carel du Toit Centre at Tygerberg Hospital at (021) 938 5312