Posted by: Richard | 2006/04/08

loss of hearing

a friend of mine has a 10 year old girl who was born with normal hearing, but lost it when she was about 3. She's now about 10 and he's still to find a specialist who can help him.
One hearing doctor said she's deaf on one ear and low in hearing on the other. but he's not show weather to operate or not. Please refer me to an appropiate doctor. Any where in South Africa is fine.

072 558 5530

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hi Richard
She may have had a virus infection that injured her cochlear ( hearing) nerve. I think the best place to look for a specialist will be at the ear nose and throat departments of the bigger universities like Wits, Pretoria, Cape town. Tygerberg hospital ( univ Stellenbosch medical school) has a cochlear implant unit. Carel du Toit Centre at Tygerberg Hospital at (021) 938 5312

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.