Question
Posted by: Ang22 | 2005/01/07

loss of Hair + new gynae (distressed)

Hi all

has anyone experienced any hair loss while pregie? I’m 18weeks and about 5 days and I have a huge Bald spot above my left ear, Im not sure if it is something that could be associated with my pregnancy !???? thankfully I have long hair so it is not really noticable ...

also I’ve decided to change Gynae's since Im not comfortable with my current doc- she hasn’t done any blood test on me yet and that worries me ?? should it ?
Given my history Ie: miscarriage, endometriosis ect is changing Gynae’s now a good idea ?

Hair loss can be a side effect of pregnancy.
Before changing doctors, perhaps you should ask your current doctor about the blood tests. If you have been seeing her for some time, she may already have some of the information, such as your blood group.

5
Posted by: Kate | 2005/01/10

By 18 weeks you should have had your blood type check, nuchal fold test at 12 weeks (measured by scan) and have had your spina bifida tests doen at 15/16 weeks. You urine should be checked each time you go for a scan too.

My advice is to change doctors if you are not happy - trust your instincts. Especially with your history.

Hair loss can be a 'side effect' of pregnancy and I would suggest you talk to your new gynae about this. Maybe you can take a vitamin supplement to help prevent anymore hair loss.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Linda | 2005/01/08

Sometimes hair loss is caused through a type of fungus called "ringworm".

I agree that you should indeed be concerned if your doctor hasn't, at yet, done any blood tests. Do you know whether you are Rhesus negative or Rhesus positive?

Reply to Linda
Posted by: JJ | 2005/01/07

When will you be going for your next scan? Are you going to find out what the sex is? Me I am going to rather not find out as I want a suprise.

Have a great weekend.

Reply to JJ
Posted by: Ang22 | 2005/01/07

Hi JJ
thanks for the response YIP Im just as hairy on my tummy !!
Ive been for 3 scans and my baby doing great ! Its a fantastic thing to see you baby on that screen isnt it ?

Good luck at your next scan let me know how it goes !
since i Have not had one sice 14 weeks !

Reply to Ang22
Posted by: JJ | 2005/01/07

Hi Ang22,

I am 15 weeks 3 days and I have not noticed any hair loss, the only thing I have noticed is that I am getting very hairy on my face and my tummy, so maybe loosing hair is not a bad thing, I think it is your hormones going crazy.

Changing Gynae's well I think if you are not happy with your currently gynae then I would change were abouts do you stay cause if you reside in Cape Town I have a lovely Gynae for you to go to.

How many scans have you been for so far if you don't mind me asking, I am going for my third scan on 26 January 2005, can't wait.

Please keep in touch.

Take Care
JJ

Reply to JJ