Question
Posted by: Kashy | 2006/11/09

Loss of clear sight followed by Headache

I’ve been experiencing excruciating headaches around my forehead and temples. This only occurs after I have a spell of blurring in my eyes and cannot focus on anything I can see shapes but not clear at all, I cannot do anything but close my eyes and relax for a few minutes wait for it to pass and get my eye sight back after a while I see clearly again.
However once my vision clears up I get whipped over with this pain that last for at least 3 hours. (myprodol does not help!!). Eventually the pain dissolves.

It has come to a stage that if I sneeze or cough or laugh, even talk for that matter it feels as if someone has just pounded my head with a hammer.

Please help with any suggestions as of what might be wrong

Many Thanks
Kashy

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Kashy,

The visual disturbance that you experience before the pain is one of the common symptoms of migraine. It is called the ‘aura’, and is not dangerous, as it always passes. Taking pain killers is not the answer – it is far better to prevent the headaches from happening at all.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Kashy | 2006/11/10

Your time spent on replying to this message is much appreciated, however I have visited the optician and done some research on the internet.

It seems that the muscles in my eyes have been going through spasms, thus causing the the poor sight and headaches my DR has given me "theraputic glasses" which he believes will relax my eyes when working on the computer and reading. I will give this some time and see how it works if it does not help, my next step would be to visit the Clinic.

Many Thanks
Kashy

Reply to Kashy