Question
Posted by: RB | 2004/10/11

Losing Weight- Excersize - Injuries

I weight 105 Kg and I'm 1.98m tall. My BMI is 26.

I'm a club rugby player
In winter I practice 2 * 2hr rugby and play rugby on Saturdays. After the season stopped, I started playing squash 3-4 times a week and 40 minutes of soccer once a week. I also do some weight training. This is my average daily diet.

Breakfast
From 8 to 11 o'clock I eat 5 apples.
3 big Cups of coffee with no sugar
1 berocca calmag

Lunch (Between 1 and 2)
A big baugette with chicken, bacon and cheese.
OR
300g Droe Wors
Or
2 Sanwiches with bacon egg and cheese.

(I drink 2 litres of water from lunch to 5 o'clock.)

Dinner at 6:30

Tamoto, lettuce and onion salad with half a spoon of low fat mayonaise, mustard and tsp olice oil and vinegar with either smoked chicken or fried chicken.

OR
2 hake fillets with a salad.

( I drink about 1litre of water with lime cordial during the evening)

At about 9 o'clock I eat 2 or 3 apples.

I rarely eat red meat. About once a week. I drink about 6 beers on a Saturday. Normal beer.

During the last 3 years I have each year suffered a stress fracture in my left tibia during rugby season. I must lose weight to put less stress on my leg. I also want to pick up some muscle.

Will my diet help me lose weight ? I'm also starting swimming tonight. I also stopped smopking about a month ago.
I get cravings for salty food. When I do I eat about 100g dried chilli chicken strips. What can I do to prevent getting cravings ?

Cheers

Dear RB
You will lose weight on this diet, but rather cut out the droëwors which contain a lot of fat. However, this diet is not balanced, as it does not contain any sources of calcium (and you won't obtain sufficient from that 1 tablet you take). I would suggest that you either increase your calcium intake by using Calcium Sandoz (this should also help your bones to knit), or consider using a low-fat, high-fibre balanced diet. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and 'Slimming Diet to obtain a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet that is balanced and helps with weight loss. Your muscel growth will depend on the type of exercise you do - use weight training to build muscle. To prevent cravings chew sugar-free chewing gum and eat those apples, carrot or celery sticks and baby tomatoes.