Posted by: CJ | 2008/07/29

Losing weight and diabetic

Hi I am type one diabetic trying to lose weight, I am eating healthy and my diabetes is controlled. Sometimes when I try exerciseing I go low. Any advice

Dear CJ
If you have not yet consulted a clinical dietitian for a specific diet prescription for your diabetes that takes all your individual factors into account, namely type of diabetes, type of medication you are using, age, gender, body weight and level of activity, then I would strongly urge you to see a dietitian ASAP. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your exercise into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. This is vital if you are going to lose weight and be able to exercise without suffering from low blood sugar.