Question
Posted by: Lizzie | 2007/03/12

Losing Weight

Thanks for the response to my gall stones and gall bladder removal. Sorry to harp on but doesn't it stand to reason that if the gall bladder needs to be removed, its because it is not functioning properly and if it isn't, it would affect the liver too and make the system toxic so that maybe it won't allow weight loss? I'm not reaching for straws, just understanding. Also, a lactose/wheat intolerance has been suggested because all my bloods (insulin resistance, thyroid etc) are normal. I only need to understand why my metabolism hates me and refuses to part with a measly kg or two (despite all this investigation and a punishing exercise regime). I eat six small carefully balanced meals a day so you can udnersand my desperation here. I appreciate this, doc.

Dear Lizzie
the main function of the gall bladder is to make gall and save it so that it can be squirted into the bowel when you eat fatty foods. Not having a gall bladder will just mean that you can't "save" gall, but the liver will still produce gall to go into the bowel. You will however feel bad if you eat very fatty meals as it won't be enough to dissolve the fat properly.
Sometimes when you eat too little your body goes into "starvation mode" clining to every kilojoule for all that it is worth and just changing your type of food or the volume (up) can give you weight loss - I think you should discuss with a good dietician. One of my patients has been battling with her weight and since eating MORE, she actually lost 8 kg's!