Question
Posted by: Nic | 2005/12/07

Losing weight

I've been told that I need to lose about 15KG to normalise my blood pressure. I've been trying for months but my weight seems to see-saw no more than 1KG either way of my average weight. I eat healthy, I go to gym 3 times a week and have even tried slimming aides but nothing seems to be working. I can't afford the services of SureSlim or a dietician. DO I have a thyroid problem? What else is there to do?

Thanks.

Dear Nic
I don't know what foods you are eating and if you have actually reduced your energy intake even if you eat healthy food. There is always a possibility that someone who struggles to lose weight is suffering from a hormone imbalance (thyroid, insulin or female hormones). Discuss this with the dr who is treating you for the bp and ask him/her if you can have the relevant tests done. If you should be insulin resistant then it is imperative that you do see a clinical dietitian.