Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2004/12/09

Losing Weight

I weigh 62 kgs and my height is 162cm. I've been trying to lose weight at least 5kg for the past two months but nothing seems to work. I go to the gym at least 3 times a week, do the threadmill and then the toning circuit thereafter. Could you please advice me on a plan to follow to achieve my results.

Thank you.

I think that part of your problem may be that your body weight is not really that high to start with. You are aiming for 5 kg, which would bring you down to 57 kg, and put you right at the lower end of normal body weight, because you are already in the normal range for body weight for your height. Obviously, it is a lot easier to lose 5 kg when you are very overweight and you are not, so that may explain why the difficulty. Also, at this sort of range, 2 months may be too short, for the reasons that I explained above. It often takes 6 months to achieve results when trying to lose this weight. Finally, the key is also the frequency of training. Training 3 times a week means that for every day of exercise, you have a day or more off, and I think that this can be vastly improved by simply adding a fourth, and then a fifth day of training to your programme. I dont think that you need to change what you are doing, but you do need to add another day and then that may make all the difference.