Question
Posted by: MINI ME | 2004/01/22

LOSING WEIGHT

HI - COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS SUFFICIENT TO LOSING WEIGHT - AT THE MOMENT I GO TO GYM TWICE A WEEK AND DO CYCLING FOR 20 MINUTES ON LEVEL ONE - AFTER ABOUT FIVE MINUTES MY LEGS START BURNING BUT I CARRY ON - I DO NOT LIKE THE TREADMILL BECAUSE AS I AM 20 KILOS OVERWEIGHT WHEN I DO WALK MY LOWER BACK STARTS ACHING AND MY ANKLES BURN - SO IS THIS SUFFICIENT TO LOSING WEIGHT (AS WELL AS HAVING A GOOD EATING PLAN) - AND DOING THIS HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE FOR ME TO LOSE 20 KILOS
THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE

The actual exercise session sounds OK. Cardio exercise such as cycling is what is recommended. There are a few other important things though. One is the duration - the ideal would be 40 minutes or so, but considering that you are starting out, a 20 minute session will do for now. Eventually though, the burning in the legs will go away, and you should then try to increase this, in small increments, like 5 minutes a week, until you get to the 30 or 40 minute mark.

The second thing that you must look at is how often you train. I don't think that you will really see many results with 2 days a week. Three would be much better, and 4 is better still. For now, 3 would be a good goal - one on a weekend day, two in the week, and then in a few weeks, push this up to 4. It's important to be consistent and build up the base of exercise, and I'm not sure that 2 days a week allows this.

Finally, diet is very important, and no matter how much you train, without eating well, you won't lose weight. For a diet, though I would consider asking Diet Doc for advice, or seeing a dietician personally.