Question
Posted by: Mattheuw | 2008/05/26

Losing my mind over stupid choice 2

Subject: Losing my mind over stupid choice
Posted by: Mattheuw
Message:
I have been struggling to make a career choice for almost 6 years. I am very unhappy in my current career and only went down this path because it was easy and affordable. But I want to change. The problem is I just cannot make my choice between the two desirable careers. I am both very creative and logic. I dont trust Career guidance Counselors, its as if they want to force a career onto you.

Both my choices has equal cons and pros that cancels each other out. I force myself onto making a final decision but always ends up with the what if? This makes me mad! I cannot find rest and peace regarding my decisions. I have two dreams but can only follow one. How do I find rest? Is this a kind of phobia?

Please Doc, help. I am losing it. I should probably add that I had depression during my matric year but this is a different story.

If there is anyone who can relate and maybe help me with some advice please do! I will announce the two choices later but first want to make sure I get better insight on the problem instead of a simple: dont study that, there is no work for those graduates.

HELP!
Date: 25/5/2008

Subject:
Posted by: Cybershrink
Message:
I'm not sure why any competent career guidance person would want to force any particular career on you --- what would be the benefit to them of doing so ? I wonder if your personality is a touch obsessive, and thus finding it especially hard to make such choices ? If so, some help from a shrink could be useful. You're fortunate to have apparently two equally good and appealing and promising choices --- so many people find no choices at all.
Maria makes an excellent point, about how rare it is to find one job that uses every talent you have, and how practical it often is to find a satisfying job and to use one's other skills in other ways and as hobbies or part-time activities. I can identify with that --- I had multiple interests and talents and made choices that have given me opportunities to exercise most of them. I chose to go first and full-time into medicine and psychiatry, two of my passions, because they required the heaviest load of work and qualifications before one could start. But I also wanted to be a writer, and became one, writing and publishing many books all worked on in my very limited spare time. I was tempted by the stage, and managed to find opportunities to write some staged plays and songs, again, also spare time. I was very interested in the law, and later in life worked in forensic psychiatry, giving expert testimony in major law cases. And so on.
If there is a difference between your choices in employability, the one with a better choice of actual jobs may be the best to go for in terms of employment, with the other work developed as a side-line
I look forward to eharing in a fresh posting, what your actual choices are
Date: 26/5/2008

Subject: RE: Losing my mind over stupid choice
Posted by: Maria
Message:
Hi Mattheuw

I'm busy studying in order to drastically change career after years in the IT industry, so I can to some extent relate. You don't have to use all your talents and satisfy all your interests in your job. Few people are lucky enough to have jobs that meet all their needs. If e.g. you're a whizz at fixing cars and you can sing like an angel, you can always be a mechanic who sings in your spare time, or an opera singer who fixes cars as a hobby.

From an IT perspective being creative and logical is a good combination. You can think out of the box to find solutions to problems, and evaluate your solutions critically to see if they will work in practice. I'm sure that this will be true for other careers as well.

Hope that helps!
Date: 26/5/2008

Posted by: Mattheuw
Message:
Thank you both doc and Maria.

My choices are: Motion Picture (Directing/Editing) and Architecture.

I really like both these choices. I am a Graphic Designer working for a Publishing Company.

So what do you guys think?
Date: 26/5/2008

Posted by: Maria
Message:
Hi Mattheuw

You need to start a new post, otherwise CS won't see it.

In terms of your two choices... difficult for me to comment as I don't know much about those fields, or about the one you're in now. I'm afraid that in the current economic climate you probably have to consider which is more likely to find you a job, unless you have a huge trust fund that can pay the bills!

Have you spent some time with people in both those fields to get a feel for exactly what they do? I can really recommend a book by Richard Bolles called "What colour is your parachute", which deals with deciding what you want to do careerwise. For your purposes what will be most relevant is his tips on how to interview people to find out how they experience their jobs and how they ended up in the career they are in. And perhaps you can take it from there? Oh, another thing he talks about is "building bridges" between careers, e.g. if you are a caterer who wants to get into stockbroking, start by catering for stockbrokers and setting up contacts that way.

If you keep feeling "stuck" perhaps consider a few sessions with a counsellor to sort out your thoughts, not so much on your future career perhaps as on the way you see yourself in the future and the broad goals you want to work towards.

Good luck!
Date: 26/5/200

As usual, Maria's comments are right on the ball. OK, I gather that you have talents both in IT and in graphics / design / art. I understand that architecture takes some time to qualify, including an apprenticeship, but pays well so long as people keep building. Film ( and perhaps TV ? ) direction could be harder in that you could be brilliantly talented, but without contacts, recognition, and funding, it could be hard to break in to the field. Editing might be easier to get into, as whenever someone else as director gets the funding etc together, he would then need an editor as part of the team. I understand many successful directors started by working in other film-related areas, watched and learned, before getting openings as a director. Its often a good idea to research the history of one's field, especially locally, as to how successful people in that field got to where they are.
Is there room for that bridge-building, to moonlight doing some graphic design for some local films or TV productions ?