Question
Posted by: Sunshine Girl | 2007/03/09

Lose Weight & Tone

Hi there i weigh 71kgs and i am 1.60 meters i just started gym this week and was wondering if you could help me out, I am doing 10min of bicycle, 10 min walking, 10min and 5min steps, then i do the toning circut, is this enough for me to lose weight? or should i be doing things differently?

It's fine to begin with. Certainly, over the next few weeks, you do need to look at increasing the cardio component a little and maybe get up to 45 minutes. But what you are doing now is actually quite a lot to begin with, so provided you can do it and not get too tired, then it's fine. one thing that you may wish to consider as you get fitter (apart from increasing the length of the cardio in total) is being more specific in your training. Right now, it seems that you are doing everything, all at once. And maybe when you get fitter, then for variety, you can actually limit a day of training to maybe one or two machines at the gym. The next day, do the others. In my experience, trying to cram it all in actually causes you to get quite bored, and so once you figure out what you enjoy most, focus on that and use the others for variety.

And finally, diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross

1
Posted by: ///// | 2007/03/09

Your exercise routine is fine but you need to also look at your diet. You must support ur exercises with a balanced diet.

Reply to /////