Question
Posted by: lose weight | 2006/11/08

lose weight

Just started gym i run 30 min on treadmill and walk 10 fast pace i was told by a fitness guy that running puts lots of stress on your joints and that it is better to walk fast and do some weights to lose weight quicker is it better to do the orbitrek than run?

In the beginning stages, i would agree with him. It's often a big source of injury in people who start up with something like running and it's often good to walk for a while to 'teach' the joints and bones and muscles how to cope with the added load. Later on, I don't think that there is any added risk, though again, you have to be sensible about how you increase the training volume and intensity.

The orbitrek has its place, if only because it gives you some variety. if you enjoy it, then by all means, use it, but if you prefer running, there's not much that the orbitrek adds, other than the variety.

So my advice is to mix walking and jogging for now, try to alternate them during the course of your normal 30 minutes. Perhaps you can do 5 minutes walking, 5 minutes jogging, repeated 3 times? That gives you a recovery time in between, just what you need to adapt gradually to the training. Over time, you will be able to phase out the walking (as in 4 minutes, 6 minutes) and eventually, 2 minutes 8 minutes, and finally none at all. I hope that progression makes sense. I would try each combination for a week, see how it goes. If you feel pain, back off and walk more, but I think it will be OK.

1
Posted by: Fatspin! | 2006/11/14

Try spinning as part of your routine - it is pain free (once your but is used to the saddle (invest in cycling pants) and since Jan this year has helped me lose 22kg that have been stuck on for years and would not budge with my usual daily work-out - you can't chatt or leave half way so you end up having a solid workout in 45min - could lead to cycling and a new life! I cut out starch (but not high protein diet!) and gorged on huge stir-fries of chicken fillets, tons of all veggies, salads (with avo and healthy dressings) and fruit - never went hungry and it worked. I am 52.

Reply to Fatspin!