Question
Posted by: crusty | 2004/11/12

lose memory

Please can you advise on why when i drink alcohol I lose my memory. I am talking anything from 4 glasses of wine. This is really concerning me.

You don't mention how much you drink, or for how long you have been drinking. Most people know that excessive alcohol intake can cause brain damage including memory damage ; but some people are unusually sensitive to ill-effects from drinking aochol ( eg the Alcohol Intolerance Syndrome) and get such ill-effects at much lower doses. Can't you get by on 2 glasses of wine a session ?
And someone pointed out that the number of glasses of wine referred to in advice on how much drinking is excessive or gives too high a level for drunk-driving issues, is now inacuratem as many bars are serving larger glasses of wine, some amounting to around 1/3 of a bottle, rather than the much smaller glasses that were usual when the guidelines were laid down.

4
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/11/12

Hi Crusty

This is Cybershrink's comments to a similar question thant yours:

"Alcohol is a depressant drug, rather like an anaesthetic, though a bit slower-acting. The first parts of your brain it puts to sleep are those dealing with intelligence and common sense, and memory is impaired a bit later on. If you don't record things in memory, they're not there to remember, later. Eventually, with enough alcohol, one becomes unconscious, and even more parts of the brain stop working properly, and eventually one can die simply from an alcohol overdose".

Like Shaun says - some people get's to the memory loss phase faster than others - all depends on individual metabolisms. You know now that you start forgetting by the time you have had 4 drinks - why not stop at 2 - then you should have no worries.

Reply to Lucia
Posted by: No-one | 2004/11/12

As Shaun stated some people have a lower tolerance. It could also be that you have a memory loss after a couple more than four but the memory blocks this out as well and this is because you are drinking too much. If you are taking meds this will worsen the possibility of getting memory loss. Becareful and try to limit to no more than 2 glasses.

Reply to No-one
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/12

Hi Crusty,

Some people have a lower level of tolerance when it comes to alcohol, than others. Some people can drink until the sun comes up, while some people can get "mother-less" with just one drink!
I would strongly suggest that if this is worrying you that you think of giving it up, or try something else with maybe a lower percentage of alcohol. If you are diabetic I would definitely suggest you give it up!!!

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: butter | 2004/11/12

How much alcohol content is in your wine?

Reply to butter