Question
Posted by: TTC | 2003/01/31

Loosing weight while pregnant

I need to know, I am trying to conceive, but I am about 15kg overweight at the moment, which I am battling to loose. I am scared that if I fall pregnant now, I am going to look like a bus at the end of it.
What I want to know - is it possible, with the help of a dietician, to loose weight during pregnancy- I mean actual fat loss. So say I way 65kg now, and should pick up about 11kg with pregnancy - and I do that, but at the end of the pregnancy, because of the 'diet' I will actually weigh 60kg now??
I hope you understand what I mean, because as I write this it is not really making sense.
So if I don't become pregnant and diet, I will loose say 10kg, is it possible to be pregnant and still loose this.
Thanks!!

Dear TTC
It is better to go into pregnancy weighing your normal weight, but if you consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to obtain the name and address of your nearest dietitian), then she/he will help you to make sure that you a) don't gain any additional unnecessary weight during your pregnancy and b) that you eat a healthy diet that gives your child the best possible chance in life. So do consult a dietitian, it will be well worth it.
Hope you fall pregnant soon.