Question
Posted by: Jarrod | 2006/11/09

Loosing condition when sick

Dear Fitness Doc

I am in the middle of a rather hefty bout of flu and am resting. I usually exercise 5 days a week - lots of cardio with lots of weights. The thought of loosing my hard earned level of fitness, tone and shape terrifies me! Over what period of inactivity will I loose fitness and tone - how long do I have till I'm back to square one!? When can I start exercising again?

Hi Jarrod

It's tough when you are sick and then have to get back to training. The most important thing is to be patient and not force it. If you go too quick, you relapse and then you spend another 3 to 4 weeks out of commission. That will really cause problems. So to cut your losses, rather accept that now it's better to rest and you'll be able to get it back when you start.

As for when you do start, give your body a chance to get over the symptoms, plus a few more days. That's just to be on the safe side. But when your body starts to feel strong and your head no longer hurts, nose is no longer blocked, give it a day or two MORE and then get back into it. I'm pretty sure that if you have taken a week or so off, you will be able to recover the lost time once you resume training. it's impossible to say HOW much you will have lost, because that depends on the person, how hard they were training before illness etc. So don't worry about that, it's not controlable. Rather focus on getting better and then when you do return, just be patient, give it a week and you'll be back to normal.