Question
Posted by: Alvira | 2007/05/09

loose skin after weightloss

I lost 10kg over the past 8 months, and, being 50, the skin is now quite loose around my neck and I've got a bit of a hollowed look in my face, even though I've got 10 more kgs to loose to reach target weight. Is there anything I can do about it, without submitting to surgery, or should I just live with it?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Alvira, thank you for the question.
Let me start buy saying congratulations for what you have achieved with the weight loss and I wish you all the best for the rest of your goal.
Unfortunatley surgery is your best option but I understand from the many patients that I see who do not want or desire surgery, so there are non-surgical options available. However they will not produce the same results as surgery as unfortunately no technology exists today that will equal surgery yet.
For the loose skin around the neck area I would try a combination of skin tightening and Velasmooth® (with their jaw applicator head not the body applicator). Your skin tightening options are as follows: Syneron elight® with elos technology (www.syneron.com), Titan® (www.cutera.com), and Thermage®.

I would like to explain how each of these machines work so that you may make an informed decision on which one to try.
Thermage® works by sending a single pole of radiofrequency (monopolar) into the dermis affecting the collagen. It needs to be placed on the skin for a total of 2 seconds to achieve benefits and recent studies have shown with monopolar radiofrequency one should perform ten passess over the whole treated area to achieve good results. Most patients have commented that this process is painfull even though the company has brought out a new cooling head to reduce discomfort.
Titan® works by using infrared to remodel collagen with wave lengths ranging from 1100nm to 1800nm. This applicator head needs to be placed on the treated are for 6 to 8 seconds to achieve results and there are some patients reporting discomfort (depends on individual pain tolerance). As with Thermage® a total of 6-10 passes over the treated area needs to be performed to get best results.
Synerons® elos technology is a combination of infrared and bipolar radiofrequency. With bipolar radiofrequency an electric current is produced in the dermis allowing for greater comfort, quicker pulses (1second) and deeper penetration into the dermis. Furthermore the infrared wavelength has been increased with a range of 800nm to 2100nm. What this means in a nutshell is you are getting both technologies in one machine, quicker treatment times, more comfort and the ability to do more passess. If one adds the Velasmooth® to the treated area a superior result should be achieved with whatever combination modality you choose from the above three machines.