Question
Posted by: marlon | 2007/03/08

Loop

Hi there,
My wife are concedering to go for a loop operation to prevent pregnancy.Is there any complications during and after this operation and wht is the success rate for it?

It is not an operation. The IUCD is inserted in the doctor's rooms, but is similar to having a pap smear. If you use the copper IUCD, periods can be heavier and more painful. There is a slightly higher risk of infections. It is about 98% effective.

1
Posted by: Maya | 2007/03/08

I never had the copper loop inserted, I had the Mirena loop for 3 1/2 yrs so I can only give you my perspective on this loop.
It is inserted in the doctors rooms, I would suggest that your wife take a pain killer half an hour before but it's not that painful especially if she's already had children
It is 99% effective, I had it problem free for the entire time. The Mirena also can stop your periods or lighten them dramatically (a perfectly normal side-effect). IUD'S can perforate the uterus and one is more susceptible to pelvic inflammatory infections, but on the whole they are considered safe and no more hazardous than other contraceptives.
Your wife should gather information from her doctor as to the pro's and con's so that she can decide whether this is the right method for her:)

Reply to Maya