Question
Posted by: David F | 2007/04/24

Looking for partner

Hi all, I stay in Fourways alone in a complex. I thought my cabriolet would attract some attention to me, but nothing.
Where can i go to meet other men of my age (31)?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi David F, a warm welcome to the forum and thanks for posting here. Interesting responses!

I'm with Deeve on this one - are you merely trying to attract attention or are you hoping to meet a person of some substance? It would be a very sad day in Gayville when we forget that "... a monkey in silk is a monkey no less..."

To be blunt, a twerp in a cabriolet is an even bigger twerp if he thought that somehow he'd become more than a twerp. Only the most superficial faggot will be attracted to a cabriolet driver simply because of his car. To be even more blunt - or ruthless - if you need to rely on your car to attract attention it may be time to join your local Bingo club.

I have no doubt that you're underestimating yourself.

11
Posted by: Deeve | 2007/04/26

Hey Paris (Hilton...?)....I disagree...all of us here are VERY in touch with life - and no, I wasn't the least surprised. No good painting all Gays with the same brush...it aint gonna happen. And the percentages, I recon you have it all wrong, its 90% us, and 10% screwed up! Most happy Gays don't live in the limelight and portray your discribed image. Cheers

Reply to Deeve
Posted by: Gareth | 2007/04/25

True loads of people go on looks and material things, not even only gay people, but why should we accept it with a "it will always be that way" sorta attitude. We should NOT condone it and we should be the difference, like Deeve. We must make it uncool to be that shallow.

Reply to Gareth
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2007/04/25

I also like to see myself as part of the 10% tto, but it does not help, does it?

Reply to LONEWOLF
Posted by: Jack Noir | 2007/04/25

To Paris and LoneWolf!

The count me as part of the 10%!

Reply to Jack Noir
Posted by: David F | 2007/04/25

Thanks for all the advice, i hope to meet such sweet and caring people like you.

Reply to David F
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2007/04/25

I must say that I tend to agree with Paris in the sense that a lot of people (gay and straight) do look out for material stuff. It has always been like that and will always be. Many people seems to forget that physical beauty is only skin deep, and learn their lessons the hard way.

Reply to LONEWOLF
Posted by: paris | 2007/04/25

Yeah right deeve - you are so out of touch with how things work today. 90% of gay people are snobby and obsessed with material stuff - why are you so surprised?

Reply to paris
Posted by: Deeve | 2007/04/25

Hi David,
Unfortunately, your posting has hit a nerve with me, so here goes.....
I find your posting extremely shallow...! Why on earth do Gay Guys recon a cabriolet will do the trick? Who convinced you otherwise?
It's common knowledge that these status symbols really get you no where...stuff the car, sort your life! Hey, a warm personality, good and caring nature, and clean looks could never have a price tag...? I'm sure you are all of the above....time to garage the car, and do some genuine self marketing. Good tips offered above on how to find the real thing....and Joe is very right! Cheers

Reply to Deeve
Posted by: Joe | 2007/04/25

Dont ever go for someone thats into what you perceive to have. They will move on if there is someone who can offer them more. Let them fall in love with you as a person. It will be based on true friendship, honesty and comaradrie (sorry for spelling) rather than getting a suntan while driving in the cabriolet or seeing going from 0-100 in 6 seconds! Rather let the guy make u go from 0 to 100!

Reply to Joe
Posted by: Gareth | 2007/04/24

David, what do you currently do (accept for driving a cabriolet - hehehe) to meet new people. In any case would you WANT to meet someone that is attracted to you because of the car you drive? I know I wouldn't. It really depends on what you are into, but there are hundreds of ways to meet people. If you are into clubbing or cruising, why not check out some of the clubs and bars round Gauteng. If not, there are other gay orientated organisations that you could join, like the gay library at Wits, or the Gay Church, etc. If that is also not your scene, try your hand at online dating. It might be a little up an down but it sure is a good way to get to know new people (who in turn can introduce you to more new people). Check out the gay pages and prints for what is happening around town, and try your hand at a few things. Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained... good luck buddy

Reply to Gareth
Posted by: Spiderman | 2007/04/24

"I thought my cabriolet would attract some attention to me"

...you cant buy love

Reply to Spiderman