Posted by: shazmangle | 2008/10/02

looking for a good counsellor in CPT


I' m looking for a good counsellor in the Cape Town region, but don' t know where to go to find these details.

There are so many things not right with me at the moment, and I need to get professional help. Without sounding too cheesy or cliched, I have had thoughts of killing myself.

As a child, I was sexually abused  my family was really messed up (my father was an alcoholic)  and just generally, i was forced to grow up at a very early age.

I' m now 20, and all these things seem to be getting me down. I guess it' s just years of not dealing with things. Previously, I could easily deal with whatever was thrown my way, but now I just can' t seem to cope. I have had thoughts of killing myself, but I immediately change my thought processes, because I know that that is not the answer.

I need to find a doctor that will help me deal with these childhood issues, as well as my self-worth, confidence, trust and, sexuality issues.

I don' t have a lot of money to spend on a doctor, but I have medical aid that should cover for that where possible. I just need to help MYSELF, and i believe that this is the first step.

Please advise.
Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Try calling FAMSA, which can suggest a number of counsellors in your area, and has some knowledge of costs, and which can make some adjustment according to earnings. I'd also recommend that you seek a counsellor who will deal with ALL your current problems, and avoid one that would wan to focus too exclusively on abuse issues --- they too often are too busy riding their own hobby-horse that they dont' deal so well with your needs

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: | 2008/10/02

Try the website above. It lists a variety of therapists I think all over the country.

or go to the Crescent Clinic main road kenilworth. as you proceed towards Wynberg from Claremont, Crescent Clinic will be on your left past the Claremont Hospital. They are good there and you may have to book.

Shucks let me get you a number for another Dr (CBT-type therapist) who helped me there. BRB

Reply to
Posted by: Lin | 2008/10/02

Cybershrink can' t recommend someone, but FAMSA will give you the details you need.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: shazmangle | 2008/10/02

thanks cybershrink

i will contact FAMSA shortly (i managed to get their details online).

do you have any recommendations for a good counsellor, or would FAMSA give me these details?

thanks again for your help.

Reply to shazmangle

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.