Question
Posted by: Noel | 2003/01/28

Longitudinal grooves/ridges on my nails

I have grooves or ridges running from the cuticle to the tip of my nails and they tear quite easiliy. What causes this ?

Noel, it might be due to a calcium or iron deficiency, but I won’t be able to tell without examining you first. The best would be to see or GP and to have him sort it out. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Elaine | 2015/09/27

I too had longitudinal grooves on some of my fingernails. There were fissures that started at the nail bed and caused the tip to become weak and torn at the groove. I had been taking telmisartan (micardis) for high blood pressure---80 mg. I had this problem for about a year and a half. The doctor determined that I only needed 40 mg and a few months later, when my nails grew out, the cracked grooves were gone. I had not associated the grooves with the blood pressure medicine and was looking for other answers. The side effects of this medication did not mention this. This should be listed as one of the possible side effects of this medication.

Reply to Elaine