Question
Posted by: endomom | 2008/01/25

long term use of Birth Control

I have endometriosis and My period were always abnormal, the number of days between cycles would vary, breakthrough bleeding, and bleeding for 10 days with my period. I have had cysts, even while on birth control pills. I also have had cysts on both ovaries at the same time. I have been taking Birth Control pills for many years now to control all of this. I was doing fine and just had some breakthrough bleeding, and a few months ago when I had pain f/u with Ultrasound, I had a very small cyst on one ovary, and they said probably a follicular cyst.

My question is this, if a woman is on BC for long periods of time, should she have periodic blood tests and hormone level checks?

It is not necessary to have hormone level checks if you are on the Pill for a long time.