Question
Posted by: Lee | 2003/03/08

Long term severe heartburn

I am a healthy fit 40yr old who suffers from severe heart burn due to a hy. hernia. I have seen a specialist who checked the stomach and colon and only found some polops. The problem comes in that all precribed medication (reflux supress, proton pump etc) works but I re-act negatively to them after a few weeks and my system rejects adversely. I recently tried Zantec but that also re-acted negatively.
The only medication that works 100% is Rennies but it means at least 10 daily. I have heard long term use is not good but what on earth do I do. I watch my diet as best as possible to avoid trigger foods.

Help and many thanks Doc

Lee

Dear Lee
This is certainly a difficult problem because most of the medications should give you excellent relief. However, if you do develop negative side-effects, then you need to watch your dietary intake very carefully - keep a food diary noting down which foods give you symptoms for about 10 days- and then avoid these foods completely. You should also discuss the possibility of having an operation for the hernia as this is no longer a major op as in the past. This would solve the problem for you and then you would not have to take all those antacids which can lead to dietary deficiencies.
Take great care

1
Posted by: Maggie | 2003/03/08

Hi Lee.... I am NOT a doctor but I have the same problem. A gastroscopy will show if the oesophagus is 'damaged' after long term reflux. This showed up for me but then I'm an old gal!! HOWEVER.... I used to be on Zantac, then Losec but now the gastroenterologist put me on Nexium 40mg. Hooray! I no longer have the symptoms and feel a whole lot better, aside from the cost!!! I can eat anything I like now which is not necessarily a good thing!! I think Nexiam 'coats' the oesophagus/gullet thus stopping the acid from eating into it. It is important that the gullet doesn't go untreated for long periods and thus becomes chronic. Like I said, I am not a doctor but this is what I have gathered along the way.
Don't eat or drink, i.e. don't fill your tum for at least two hours before you lie down. Put a brick under the top end of your bed and I'm sure you'll feel a lot better. Well, I HOPE you will!

Reply to Maggie