Question
Posted by: Mallyblue | 2003/03/11

long term effects of cortisone (Prednisone)

Dear Dr. I suffer from M.E. and Fibromyalga. Due to severe body and joint aches, my G.P. put me on Prednisone. I have been on it for a few years. I take 5mg. per day. I know that cortisone is not good over long periods of time. However, due to the relief that I get from my symptoms and the low dose is it advisable to continue?
many thanks
Mallyblue

Mallyblue, if you haven’t suffered side effects by now, it’s unlikely that you will. FMS is a difficult disorder to treat and if the low dose cortisone helps, I think the best would be to continue in spite of the potential side effects. Good luck.