Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2004/02/18

long term effects

I'm 26 and facing a hysterectomy, I've had 4 operations removing severe ediometriosis. I've been treated by having a baby and stoping my periods, the pill and Zoladex for six month's, witch made it better wile I was on it and each time being followed by an operation. My periods have always been bad since I started my period at the age of 10 but as I got older it got worse and now it is realy worse that going thru labour. I'm off sick most of the time from work because of my pain and have painfull sex. I went to doctor and she suggested a hysterectomy because I have 2 children already and because any other treatment wont necesarily help forever but it is my choice. I defenitely dont want any more children but I need to make a decision. My doctor told me about possible early menopause and osteoporosis and breast cancer, but she said if I look after myself carefully and find it early I still have hope. I'm very confused about all this and need more assistance regarding this matter, what are my chances of getting any sort of illness and how will it affect my life in the future. I know that even if I dont do this now it will defenitely have to get done at a later stage because I have a family history of cancer.

Endometriosis is often difficult to treat. The options are to continue with medical treatments such as Zoladex or Danazol or to have surgery. It is possible sometimes to remove the endometriosis without a hysterectomy, but this depends on the extent of the disease.
If you opted for hysterectomy, your ovaries might well be removed as well and this would make you menopausal with the side effects of osteoporosis, etc. You are quite young for these complications, though you would be able to take HRT would relieve them to some extent.
If at all possible it would be better to avoid hysterectomy at such a young age.