Question
Posted by: Lily | 2006/10/27

Long period

Hi I'm 41. I went for a pap smear about 4-5 weeks ago and all was normal. I have been having very long periods. They start with light bleeding for about three days and then go on with stronger bleeding for 5 - 7 days. My last period started with light bleeding about the 13th Oct and strong bleeding 20 Oct, with the bleeding still continuing. In the past my periods have been very heavy and painful. But the last two have no pain whatsoever only slight discomfort. I have had headaches just before my last two periods though. Am I going through early menopause.

There could be a problem with the uterus. A pap smear would not show this. An internal examination would be necessary.

1
Posted by: Lou | 2006/10/27

It could be early menopause or some sort of hormonal disturbance considering your history. Either way, it would pay to go back to your gynae and explain what is happening, it is not something you have to live with.

Reply to Lou