Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2003/02/12

Long Distance Runner blacks out

My niece is a long distance runner and has run several Two Oceans and Comrades marathons. She is 24 years of age. Over the past year she has had 3 blackouts. One just after the Two Oceans last year. She was then hospitalised and has seen a neurologist who can't find anything wrong except a slight abnormality in her heart rate. This does not seem to concern him. She does not eat very well at all - no vegetables or fruit. She works her body hard. Is it malnutrition or is there an underlying cause?

Debbie, I doubt that a malnourished person would be able to run a marathon. It might be due to exhaustion or due to a heart problem. The best would probably be for to have an stress ECG to make sure it’s not the latter. Good luck.